Homepage | NubianChic.Com | Braids By Nonye

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Replace Your Store-bought Shampoo with These 4 Natural Alternatives

We all know how important it is to keep our hair cleansed. Keeping your tresses clean will allow for your curls to pop so that you can get the maximum look of any style.

A clean scalp is what is needed in order for your hair to grow and you won’t have to worry about dirt or other build-up issues.

Although we know how important it is to cleanse our hair, let’s face it, some shampoos are just so drying. Luckily, there are some great natural, alternatives that can be used to clean your hair and you won’t even have to leave the house.


Check out our 4 natural alternatives to replace your store-bought shampoo.


  Coconut Milk Shampoo

 We have mentioned the great benefits of coconut shampoo in previous posts but we just can’t stop raving about it. This recipe will not only rid your hair of the dirt and other debris that may have built up over the week but it will leave your hair completely moisturized and shiny. This recipe can actually be used as a cleanser, conditioner, and a protein treatment. How nice to have an all-in-one solution! I like to put this mixture on my hair and then I like to cover my hair with a shower cap. This allows for the mixture to soak into each strand. I then rinse my hair really well and then I follow up with a leave-in conditioner.

  Ingredients:
 ½ can of coconut milk
1 ¾ Aloe Vera Gel

Mix the ingredients together in mixing bowl. You can then decide to put the mixture in a plastic container and freeze it or you can apply it to your hair. I like to use half and then put the other half in the freezer for another use.

  Apple Cider Vinegar

I love a good shampoo rinse. If you are used to clarifying your hair once a month, then you will appreciate this simple, one ingredient shampoo recipe. This rinse will work well on your hair if you are prone to using a lot of gels or heavy styling puddings and creams. The apple cider vinegar will easily remove all kinds of gunk from your hair.

  Ingredients:
 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
Plastic Bottle with nozzle tip

 I like using a plastic bottle with a nozzle tip because it makes it easy to reach my scalp. I make sure to get my hair completely drenched with the entire bottle of apple cider vinegar so that I know that my hair will be squeaky clean. After I rinse out the apple cider vinegar, I then apply a nice amount of deep conditioner and I let it sit on my hair for about 30 minute.

  Bentonite Clay

 Now you may have to leave the house for this product but you will love the multitude of benefits and uses. Bentonite clay is one of the most effective, natural healing clays available to the market. You can find this clay on Amazon, Vitacost, or in your nearby Whole Foods. I prefer the Aztec brand and I use it on my face, feet, and hair. This product absorbs all of the impurities from your skin and hair and will leave you with an amazing shine.

  Ingredients:
1 cup of bentonite clay in powder form
½ or ¼ cup of distilled water

Mix the ingredients together in a mixing bowl. I like to apply the mixture to my hair with a color brush applicator to make sure that I don’t miss a spot. I then cover my hair with a shower cap and allow for the clay to sit on my hair for 30 minutes or longer. I then rinse my hair really well and apply conditioner. My hair instantly feels strong, and very soft.

  Fresh Lemon Juice

 Fresh lemon juice is one of the world’s greatest cleaning agents around. I use fresh squeeze lemon juice to clean my kitchen counters, bathroom sinks, and floors. I just love the smell that lingers around for a few hours as well. Lemon juice also works great to cleanse your hair. The citrus works well to breakdown and remove the dirt and bacteria from your hair and scalp. If you are not a huge fan of the smell of lemon, don’t worry because most of it will disappear after you rinse your hair and apply conditioner. If you like the smell of lemon, you can add a few drops of lemon oil to boost the scent.

  Ingredients:
 Fresh squeezed lemon juice
½ cup of distilled water
Spray bottle or bottle with nozzle top
Essential Lemon Oil (optional)

 Put the fresh squeezed lemon in a bottle and add the distilled water. Add a few drops of lemon oil if you’d like to boost the scent.

There you have 4 new hair cleansing recipes that can be used in place of store-bought shampoos. Have some fun with these recipes to remix your own.

 Image courtesy of Ambro at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment